Pictures from the Puffin and volcano tour
What to expect in this tour
Puffin and Volcano Tour is one of our most popular tours for those who are here on a day trip in the Westman Islands
We drive around the Island in our minibus and tell you all about the history of the Westman Islands. This is not your typical minibus tour where you just sit inside the whole time you will be getting in and out of the bus to explore each stop with our local guide Ebbi.
We take you to “sprangan”, a local sport in Heimaey, where our local guide will show you his amazing skills. Spranga is like scaling and swinging on a rope on the cliffs.
On this tour, we will go to the valley Herjolfsdalur that now also inclused a visit into Herjólfstown which is the replica of the firsti viking family that settled in Westman Islands (Vestmannaeyjar) around the year 900. Another stop is at Stórhofdi (the windiest place in Europe) to see our amazing puffin colony. In this tour we will also drive in the middle of Eldfell the volcano where the eruption started.
- Stórhöfði – (the windiest place in Europe where you can see puffins)
- Eldfell – Be in the middle of the Volcano where it all started
- Spring – Local sport in Heimaey, where your guide will show you his skills -and how it works
- Herjólfsdalur – Exclusive visit to Herjólfstown, where the first Viking family settled on Westman Islands.
- Elephant Rock – You will get to see the famous Elephant Rock
– Min. 4 passengers
–Meeting point: Harbor in Heimaey, close to the ferry Herjolfur.
-Tour duration: The time of the tour is about 120 minutes.
– Season: 1. May– 8.September
– – – If you are traveling outside these dates then this tour is available in a slightly different form here: The highlights of the Westman Islands
This tour is not suitable for childen under 3 years old
Note: Please consider that all trips are depending on weather conditions and wildlife sighting cannot be guaranteed.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a very loaded question. The “best” puffins? The puffins in Látrabjarg probably think they are the best, but obviously the puffins in Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands) are by far the best. And since that is where the biggest puffin colony in Europe is, and their address is at Stórhöfði (literally: Great Cape), yes, let’s say that the “best” puffins are in the Westman Islands.
You actually see them when you arrive with the ferry. They literally fly by the ship when you enter the harbor, so yes, one could say that you can see puffins in the Westman Islands.
They are awful when it comes to bedtime rules, so while there is daylight, you have a good chance of seeing them.
The season is from April to August (it sometimes drags into September).